Monday, October 7, 2013

Jewelry

Already, 
I can hear you fretting about the cost,
but let me smile here and explain that beyond postage,
I didn't spare a dime on this. Riding the plane
home from Chicago, a man sat next to me,
(and while you know how I am about conversations
with strangers, especially lacking an escape mechanism).
We spoke nearly the whole way home, 
about Love, God,
Science Fiction, America. 
He works as a defense contractor,
designing contraptions to save soldiers in work time
designing jewelry in real time,
just to blow off steam.
Jewelry he learned to fashion 
in a sizzling Moroccan bazaar.
He gives whole sets of this jewelry away for free.
He carries thirty sets with him at any time,
gifting them to men and women 
who leave some shadow of themselves within his heart, 
folks who are kind and openhearted with him
help him to learn new things 
or who perhaps just need a lucky break,
From unsettled Saudi oil heiresses, 
to cancer-stricken stewardesses.
And now to you, through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment